India Connected: Mapping the Impact of New Media
Edited by Sunetra Sen Narayan and Shalini Narayanan
A first-of-its-kind analysis of the growth of new media in Digital India from a broad communications and interdisciplinary perspective.
Can new media help in bringing about development or contribute to social movements? Who is left out of the new media equation? How is the public sphere affected by it? How will it be regulated?
Providing answers to these important questions, this book critically examines the growth of new media in India. It looks at how new media can be theorized in the Indian context and offers a perspective on the opportunities and challenges this poses to governance, development, and businesses as well as in social marketing efforts.
With the government and the corporate sector’s growing emphasis on ‘Digital India’, India Connected creatively delves into various aspects such as digitization, convergence, interactivity, and ubiquity, which are affecting the Indian media landscape.
About the editors:
Sunetra Sen Narayan is an Associate Professor, Indian Institute of Mass Communication, New Delhi.
Shalini Narayanan is Head-Communications, Centre for Digital Financial Inclusion, New Delhi. She is a member of IAMCR.
A number of the contributing authors are members of IAMCR.
Table of Contents
I. THEORETICAL PERSPECTIVES
- An Overview of New Media in India - Sunetra Sen Narayan and Shalini Narayanan
- Theoretical Perspectives: Issues in the Indian New Media Environment - Jatin Srivastava and Enakshi Roy
- Political Economy of (New) Media in India: An Institutional Perspective - B P Sanjay
II. POLITICS, GOVERNMENT AND THE MARKET
- Social Media and Indian Politics in the Global Context: Promise and Implications - Awais Saleem and Stephen McDowell
- New Media and Social–Political Movements - Shalini Narayanan and Anand Pradhan
- New Media, Governance and Transparency in India - Abhishek N Singh and P Vigneswara Ilavarasan
- Regulation of New Media: The Indian Scenario - Vikram Aditya Narayan and Raka Arya
- ICT and the Indian Education System: Challenges and Possibilities - Anubhuti Yadav
- Brand Promotion on New Media in India - Jaishri Jethwaney
III. HISTORICAL EXCLUSIONS
- The Internet in India: Crystallising the Historical Inequalities - Uma Shankar Pandey
- Women and the Internet in India: Denial of Access and the Censorship of Abuse - Geeta Seshu
- Disability and Social Media in India - P J Mathew Martin and Sunder Rajdeep
The above text is from the publisher's description of the book.
Title: India Connected: Mapping the Impact of New Media
Editors: Sunetra Sen Narayan and Shalini Narayanan
Publisher: Sage Publications