Three IAMCR pre and post conference events
The Community Communication and Alternative Media Section (COC) Preconference comprises two activities: a full-day Panel in English on “Media and Data Justice” and a workshop in Spanish on “Community Media & Participatory Action Research”.
The Postconference activity will consist of a number of visits to local and community media projects in different Spanish regions (known as Comunidades Autónomas): Madrid, Andalucía, Catalunya and the Basque Country. The visits will be organized in alliance with OurMedia/Nuestros Medios, a global network born in 2000 with the aim of facilitating contacts and encouraging knowledge exchange between citizen communication initiatives and scholars.
Panel on Media and Data Justice + Community Communication and Alternative Media Section (COC)
Where: Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Campus Puerta de Toledo. Ronda de Toledo, 1, 28005 Madrid.
When: Friday 5 July 10:00 to 18:00
Workshops on Community Media & Participatory Action Research
Workshop 1: Three Colombian methodological approaches to participatory action research.
Workshop 2: Reception studies in Community Media. Towards the construction of community appropriation processes.
Where: Saint Louis University — Madrid. Avenida del Valle, 34. 28003 Madrid
When: Saturday 6 July 10:00 to 18:00
Where: Different locations and community media projects.
When: Saturday 13 July (visits to community media in Madrid); Monday 15 & Tuesday 16 July (visits to community media in Andalusia, Catalonia and the Basque Country)
Participation and registration:
Participation in the preconference is by invitation.
Participation in the COC Preconference activities is open to all public, although members of the IAMCR COC Section have priority.
The registration fee for the COC Visits will be subject to the costs assigned to transportation, accommodation and other expenses.
- IAMCR Community Communication & Alternative Media Section (COC). Website: https://iamcr.org/s-wg/section/community-communication
- Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. One of the three public universities offering communication studies in Madrid. Website: www.uc3m.es
- RICCAP (Red de Investigación en Comunicación Comunitaria, Alternativa y Participativa - Research network on Community, Alternative & Participatory Communication): First Spanish organization focused on the study of participatory communication processes in alliances with other nodes and research groups in Latin America and Europe. Website: www.riccap.org
- Data Justice Lab. Space for research and collaboration at Cardiff University’s School of Journalism, Media and Culture (JOMEC). It examines the intricate relationship between datafication and social justice, highlighting the politics and impacts of data-driven processes and big data. Website: https://datajusticelab.org
- Saint Louis University - Madrid. Private university based in Madrid which offers communication studies in English. Website: www.slu.edu
- Alejandro Barranquero (Universidad Carlos III de Madrid) (abarranq [at] hum.uc3m.es)
- Emiliano Treré (Cardiff University) (TrereE [at] cardiff.ac.uk)
- Joan Pedro Carañana (Saint Louis University) (joan.pedro [at] slu.edu)
- Eduardo F. Rodríguez Gómez (Universidad Carlos III de Madrid) (edrodrig [at] hum.uc3m.es)
- Gloria Rosique Cedillo (Universidad Carlos III de Madrid) (grosique [at] hum.uc3m.es)
- Raúl Magallón Rosa (Universidad Carlos III de Madrid) (rmagallo [at] hum.uc3m.es)
Organizing committee of the Postconference visits to community media in different Spanish regions:
- David Montero & José Candón Mena (Universidad de Sevilla, Andalucía) (dmontero [at] us.es; jcandon [at] us.es)
- Udane Goikoetxea (Universidad del País Vasco) (udane.goikoetxea [at] ehu.eus)
- Carme Mayugo (Teleduca, Barcelona) (teleduca [at] teleduca.org)