Economic Inequality and News Media
Edited by Andrea Grisold and Paschal Preston
Despite the rediscovery of the inequality topic by economists and other social scientists in recent times, relatively little is known about how economic inequality is mediated to the wider public. That is precisely where this book steps in: it examines how mainstream news media discuss, respond to, and engage with such important trends. The book addresses significant ‘blind spots’ in the two disciplinary areas most related to this book—political economy and media/journalism studies. Firstly, key issues related to economic inequalities tend to be neglected in media and journalism studies field. Secondly, mainstream economics have paid relatively little attention to the evolving scope and role of mediated communication.
- Introduction - Paschal Preston and Andrea Grisold
- Trends in Economic Inequality and News Mediascape - Hendrik Theine and Daniel Grabner
- Inequality, Mediatization, and Critical Takes on Making the News - Paschal Preston
- Media and Economic Inequality - Andrea Grisold and Hendrik Theine
- Social Semiotics and Journalistic Discourses on Economics and Inequality - Maria Rieder and Henry Silke
- Media Coverage of Economic Inequality - Maria Rieder, Henry Silke, and Hendrik Theine
- Meritocracy, Markets, Social Mobility - Andrea Grisold and Henry Silke
- Stagnation, Social Tensions, Unfairness - Daniel Grabner, Andrea Grisold, and Hendrik Theine
- Is This Feasible? - Andrea Grisold, Maria Rieder, and Hendrik Theine
- News Media and Economic Inequality - Andrea Grisold and Paschal Preston
Andrea Grisold is Professor of Economics at Vienna University of Economics and Business, Austria.
Paschal Preston is Professor Emeritus at the School of Communication, Dublin City University, Dublin, Ireland, and a life member of IAMCR.
The above text is from the seller's description of the book.
Title: Economic Inequality and News Media: Discourse, Power, and Redistribution
Editors: Andrea Grisold and Paschal Preston
Publisher: Oxford University Press