Urban Communication Research Grant 2021
Applications are now being received for the 2021 IAMCR Urban Communication Research Grant. The grant is worth USD 1,750 and supports communication and media research that advances understanding of the growing complexity of the urban environment. Applications are welcome from all IAMCR members in good standing.
Hosted by the International Association for Media and Communication Research and funded by the Urban Communication Foundation, this grant supports communication and media research that advances our understanding of the growing complexity of the urban environment. It is predicated on the assumption that communication scholars have a valuable contribution to make to an understanding of the urban landscape.
The USD 1,750 grant is designed to support research already in progress or in the beginning stages. It gives priority to projects that feature innovative, interdisciplinary, applied, and creative approaches to studying the central role of communication in the transformation of urban cultures and communities.
A 5-person committee consisting of three IAMCR members and two Urban Communication Foundation representatives will judge the proposals. IAMCR representatives in the committee are Janet Wasko (Chair), Nico Carpentier, and Cees Hamelink. Urban Communication Foundation representatives are Gary Gumpert and Susan Drucker.
The grant is awarded each year at the annual IAMCR Conference, which will be hosted online by the United States International University-Africa in Nairobi, Kenya, July 11-15, 2021. Grant winners are expected to participate in the conference and present a paper related to urban communication. They must also report to IAMCR and the UCF on the progress of their research at the following year's conference, and submit a paper for this conference.
Submit the application electronically to UrbanCommunication2021 [at] iamcr.org (subject: Urban%20Communication) . Your email application must have "Urban Communication" in the subject line.
Applications will be accepted until 30 April 2021. Applicants must be current members of IAMCR.
The complete application must include:
- A letter of application, not exceeding two pages, that describes the proposed research or research already in progress, the significance of the work to urban communication, and the methodology to be employed. A description of any special funding needs is also welcome (e.g. travel, research assistants, technical support).
- A current CV
- A sample of applicant's work relevant to the proposed research
The grant winner will be notified by 1 June 2021.
Members of the Selection Committee:
- Janet Wasko (Chair), University of Oregon, US
- Susan Drucker, Hofstra University, US | UCF
- Gary Gumpert, Urban Communication Foundation, US
- Cees Hamelink, Netherlands
- Nico Carpentier, Charles University, Czech Republic