Istanbul 2011 - Environment, Science and Risk Communication Working Group Call for Papers
The Environment, Science and Risk Communication Working Group invites proposals for papers to be presented at the 2011 International Association for Media and Communication Research (IAMCR) Conference in Istanbul, Turkey, 13-17 July 2011.
Papers from the full range of environment-science-risk-communication topics and perspectives will be considered, and those relating to the conference theme 'Cities, Creativity, Connectivity' will be particularly welcome.
Key themes for the Istanbul sessions of the Working Group will include:
- Creativity, connectivity and activism on science/environment issues
- Visual media constructions of the city/urban environment
- Environmental disasters, corporate spin and news management
- Media and global environmental change and controversy
- Media and public understanding of science/environment issues
- Science and health-related media panics
- Science/environmental journalism
- Media-communication roles in environmental disasters
- Political uses/constructions of nature
- Media and environmental pressure groups
- Environmental activism and new media
Abstracts of no more than 500 words should be submitted via the IAMCR’s Open Conference System (OCS) by 8th February 2011.
Notification of the results of the abstract selection process will be issued by 25th March 2011.
Full papers must be submitted online via the IAMCR-OCS by 3rd June 2011.
Working Group Chair:
Department of Media and Communication
University of Leicester
Leicester LE1 7RH