The International Association for Media and Communication Research -IAMCR- invites applications for the 2024 Urban Communication Award. This thematic award is organised in collaboration with the Urban Communication Foundation (UCF).
The selection committee will award three papers that develop and explore innovative approaches to urban communication. Media/communication researchers with an interest in the intersection of the urban with communication are encouraged to apply, from all fields of media and communication studies and all career stages. Interdisciplinary collaborations are encouraged. Awarded papers will be acknowledged with a USD 750 grant.
To be selected for the 2024 award, papers are required to display scholarly excellence, to be innovative in nature, and to have an explicit focus on urban communication.
- Papers may be submitted by authors from all career stages
- Papers must have been accepted for presentation at IAMCR 2024 by one of IAMCR's sections or working groups. See the calls for proposals of IAMCR's 33 thematic sections and working groups.
- Papers should have a maximum of 7,000 words (abstract and references will not count towards the paper limit).
- Papers must be based on work that has not already been published or firmly committed elsewhere
- Applicants must be current members of IAMCR, either individually or as a representative of an institutional member
- An abstract of the paper must be submitted to any IAMCR section or working group in response to the 2024 calls for papers.
- If the abstract is accepted for presentation at the Christchurch conference the full paper must be received by 5 April.
- If an award is made, the author(s) will be notified by 3 May 2024.
- Each of the three awards comprises a cash prize of USD 750. There will be no ranking among the awarded papers.
- The Award Selection Committee will select up to three papers, but can decide to award fewer or none. Decisions of the Award Selection Committee will be final.
There are two deadlines to keep in mind.
- 7 February at 23h59 UTC is the deadline to submit an abstract of the paper to any IAMCR section or working group.
- 5 April 2024 at 23h59 UTC is the deadline to submit the final paper via an online form that will be made available here.
Urban Communication Award 2024 Selection Committee
- Janet Wasko, University of Oregon (USA), Chair
- Nico Carpentier, Charles University (Czech Republic)
- Yong-Chan Kim, Yonsei University (Seoul, Korea)
- Yiannis Christidis, Cyprus University of Technology (Cyprus)
- Cees Hamelink, University of Amsterdam (Netherlands)