Mexico 2009 - Islam and Media Working Group Call for Papers
Islam and Media Working Group welcomes proposals for papers for the 2009 IAMCR Conference, which will be held in Mexico City at the Centro Cultural Universitario Tlatelolco-UNAM, July 21-24.
Islam and Media Working Group encourages submissions focusing on the general conference theme, “Human Rights and Communication," and papers that address theory and applications related to the study of Islamic communication and human rights.
Submissions are invited to focus on any of the following topics:
- Islam, human rights and communication
- New media and human rights in Islam
- Image of Islam in Western media
- Image of Islam in non-Western media
- Islamic perspective of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights
- Media, democracy and Islam
- Cultural diversity, new media and Islam
- Tolerance, openness, global media and Islam
- Islamic law, communication and human rights
- Islamic perspective of freedom of expression
- Myth of clash of civilizations: An Islamic communication perspective
- Media, women and Islam
- Children rights, media and Islam
- Islam and the right to know
- The Islamic viewpoint of equity, justice, peace and development
- Media & rights of non-Muslims in Islamic states
- Media & rights of Muslims minorities in non- Muslim countries
- Cultural exception, new media and Islam
- Communication, rule of law and Islam
- Global media, international justice and Islam
Islam and Media Working Group will also organize a round table discussion on "Communication and Human Rights: The Islamic Perspective". A number of distinguished media, law and civilizations scholars will be invited to contribute to this debate.
Abstracts should be submitted to the Chair of Islam and Media Working Group, Basyouni Hamada (basyouni_hamada[AT]yahoo.com) and simultaneously to conference website.
Abstracts should be no more than 500 words; name of author/s, title, institutional affiliation, institutional address, email address, 5 key words and a short bio have to be included.
IMPORTANT: You may submit the same abstract or paper to only one section or working group.
Abstracts must be submitted by February 16, 2009.
Results will be announced by March 29, 2009.
The deadline for submitting full papers is July 1, 2009.
All proposals will be revised by the Advisory Panel of IAMCR Islam and Media Working Group
Dr. Basyouni Hamada
Professor of Mass Communication & Public Opinion
Faculty of Mass Communication, Cairo University, Egypt
Secretary General, Global Communication Research Association
Chair, IAMCR Islam & Media Working Group
Chairman, Communication Research Center (CRC)