IAMCR 2013 – Digital Divide Working Group - Call for papers
The Digital Divide Working Group invites submissions for its open session at IAMCR-2013 conference that will be held in Dublin, Ireland from 25-29 June 2013.
The Digital Divide WG seeks researches that balance theory and practice. Although we welcome submissions on any topic related to digital divide, digital media and digital communication, we encourage and will give special consideration to papers and panel proposals that examine connections to the conference theme “Crises, 'Creative Destruction' and the Global Power and Communication Orders”, including such topics as:
- 'Creative destruction': ‘digital’ media vs. ‘mature’ media;
- Digital communication and the global power;
- Uneven access to digital media and disbalances in global and national communication order;
- Digital inclusion for digitally less advanced: communication and economic crises;
- Digital divide and shifts in global power;
- Digital media and modern newsroom practices;
- Gender, age, education and other social issues in the context of digital divide.
We encourage the submission of individual papers, complete panel proposals, and research posters in any of the three official association languages (English, French, Spanish).
Individuals may submit one abstract (paper) per Section or Working Group as lead author, and a maximum of two abstracts (papers) to a single IAMCR conference in general. Presenters are expected to bring fully developed work to the conference. Prior to the conference, it is expected that a completed paper will be submitted to Section, Working Group, Session Chairs, and/or Discussants.
Abstracts should be between 250 and 500 words, and should:
- have a clear title;
- include the name(s) of author(s) and professional title(s) (i.e. professor, postdoctoral fellow, independent researcher, graduate student, student, etc.);
- outline the research objectives/questions/hypothesis;
- outline the theoretical framework and methodology if relevant;
- make clear the main argument proposed;
- bibliographies and author profiles are not required.
The Digital Divide WG encourages its members to take part in the moderation and chairing sessions, so please let us know if you are interested. Please contact the Chair Olga Smirnova (smirnovaorama [at] gmail.com).
All abstract submissions must be sent centrally via the IAMCR Open Conference System (OCS).
The deadline for submission of abstracts is January 28, 2013. Please note that this deadline will not be extended. The OCS system will open on November 15, 2012, and will close on January 28, 2013. Early submission is strongly recommended.
Decisions on acceptance of abstracts will be communicated to individual applicants by a section chair no later than February 28, 2013.
Submission of completed papers via IAMCR Open Conference System (OCS) no later than May 28, 2013.