An IAMCR 2019 pre-conference event
Description: This pre-conference, hosted by the Media Sector Development Working Group, and the Center for Media Data and Society, invites both scholars and practitioners to explore how researchers can collaborate with other actors to shape media systems for the better. The pre-conference will address two interlocking questions:
• How can we theorize and understand what it means to democratically govern the media sector?
• What is the role of research, evidence, and knowledge in supporting democratic governance of the sector?
This pre-conference aims to stimulate a vibrant discussion between different notions of democratic governance of the media sector, and different approaches to research, evidence, and knowledge. The pre-conference will involve both scholars and practitioners to explore not only the conceptual aspects of this debate, but also the practical challenges of conducting research and building knowledge in the interest of media development.
Date and time: Saturday, 6 July, 2019 - 09:00 to 17:30
Location: Facultad Ciencias Información (Edificio Aulario), Universidad Complutense de Madrid. Room C-008
Participation and registration: There is no cost to participate in this event. Registration, however, is required. To register, please register on this Eventbrite page, or email Nicholas Benequista at NickB@ned.org.
Convenor: The IAMCR Media Sector Development Working Group
Sponsors: The Center for International Media Assistance, Free Press Unlimited, and the Center for Media, Data and Society
- Nicholas Benequista, Center for International Media Assistance, NickB@ned.org
- Susan Abbott, University of Westminster, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Winston Mano, University of Westminster, W.Mano@westminster.ac.uk
- María Soledad Segura, Universidad Nacional de Córdoba, email@example.com
Tel: +1 202-378-9707