Information about visas

Participants are required to make their own arrangements for visas, if necessary. This page provides information that may be of assistance.

You are reminded that you may also require a transit visa if your travel includes stops in a third country. Please consult with your travel agent or with the authorities of any country you will be transiting through.

Do you need an official invitation letter?

  What is a Uniform Schengen visa?

The Uniform Schengen Visa, also known as short-term Schengen Visa, allows you to stay and travel in Spain and the Schengen Area for a maximum of 90 days per year. The visa does not allow you to work. Applications must be submitted at least 3 weeks before the departure date. We recommend that you start earlier in case you are asked to submit additional information, which can extend the process.

For detailed information about the Schengen Area and its visa policies, visit this link…

Do I need a Uniform Schengen Visa?

Citizens of certain countries must hold a short stay visa. The EU has a common list of countries whose citizens must have a visa (List A) or are exempted (List B) from the obligation to hold a visa.…

How to apply to a Uniform Schengen Visa?

Please refer to the guidelines from the Spanish Government on the procedures and conditions regarding the issuing of these visas

How to find the official application?

The official application can be downloaded from the link below or obtained from the Diplomatic Missions or the Consular Offices of Spain abroad.…

Where should I present my application?

Applications should be presented at the Diplomatic Mission or Spanish Consular Office in the place where the applicant legally resides. If there is no Diplomatic Mission or Spanish Consular Office in a specific country, applications can be made at the Diplomatic Mission or Consular Office that represents Spain in said country

It is important to verify the procedure and documentation with the office where the application will be presented. Please check how to contact with the Office through the following link:

I need an official invitation letter

An official invitation letter to support your visa application, funding request, etc. can be requested from the Local Organising Committee (LOC). Invitation letters will normally only be issued to people who have papers accepted for presentation at IAMCR 2019. Do not make your request until you have received confirmation that your paper has been accepted as we will be unable to issue it. If you do not have a paper accepted for presentation, your request must be supported by a known IAMCR authority (e.g. the head of a section or working group or a member of the Internatonal Council or Executive Board).

Once your participation has been confirmed, invitation letters can be requested from the Local Organising Committee at Make sure your request includes all the information listed below:

  • your full name as it appears in your passport
  • your address
  • your nationality
  • passport number
  • the title of your proposal and its OCS number
  • the name of the section or working group in which you will be presenting or participating
  • the email from the the head of your section or working group confirming that your paper was accepted for presentation
  • are you a member of IAMCR? Yes/No

Please write VISA INVITATION LETTER in the subject line of your email.