CfP: IAMCR/UNESCO preconference
Governing the Internet for Democracy: Lessons from Research Embracing a Multicentred World
Call for papers to be presented at "Governing the Internet for Democracy: Lessons from Research Embracing a Multicentred World", an IAMCR preconference to the UNESCO 2023 Global Conference “Regulating Digital Platforms for Information as a Public Good”.
IAMCR invites members to submit abstracts for participation in an IAMCR pre-conference to be held at UNESCO headquarters in Paris on 21 February 2023, the day before the global conference “Regulating Digital Platforms for Information as a Public Good”.
The pre-conference will focus on lessons arising from media and communications research in the post-WSIS period and measures to embed democratic principles and respect for fundamental human rights in the structures and procedures of Internet governance, without completely flattening the diversity brought about by a multicentred world. The rise of powerful commercial digital platforms raises multiple challenges for the sustainability of media and communication services that treat data and information as a public good and, additionally, do so in a way that is consistent with public values and democracy.
IAMCR’s preconference will focus on two themes:
- Lessons from the post-WSIS experience on barriers and opportunities for embedding policies through Internet governance mechanisms consistent with democracy, e.g. progress towards enhancing digital literacies, enabling civil society stakeholder voices to be heard and acted upon.
- Assessment of experiences of building and sustaining non-commercial platforms, public service media, or platform cooperatives consistent with public values and democracy – opportunities, barriers, risks of state control, and funding options.
The preconference will take place as an in-person meeting on 21 February 2023 at UNESCO headquarters in Paris. Online participation may be possible for a limited number of presenters and audience members.
UNESCO has committed to funding the in-person participation of up to three IAMCR members from low or middle income countries in the global south. Interested/eligible applicants will have the opportunity to indicate their desire to be considered for this funding through the application form.
We welcome interventions in the IAMCR languages of English, French and Spanish and efforts by all participants to ensure that communications are understood and exchanges are supported.
Interested IAMCR members of good standing are requested to submit abstracts:
- for review by the organising committee;
- of maximum 500 words;
- through our submission form: (https://forms.gle/WzB5q8jf7DjygrALA);
- in English, français or español;
- no later than 9 January 2023.
If you are unable to make use of the abstract submission form, you may send your abstract directly to Jeremy Shtern, chair of the organisation committee, at jshtern [at] ryerson.ca.
Please also direct any questions or clarifications to the organising committee at that email.
In order to ensure that participants whose abstracts are accepted have time to make travel arrangements, the organising committee will endeavour to complete its review of abstracts and notify participants of their status by 16 January 2023.