The Science of the Commons
By Muniz Sodré and translated by David Hauss - This is the ninth title in the Palgrave/IAMCR book series Global Transformations in Media and Communication Research.
The Science of the Commons: A Note on Communication Methodology proposes a new mode of comprehending communication. Leaving aside a sociological and linguistic model that defines communication as a process of information transmission, this book introduces an innovative ethical-political understanding of communication as a connection of the common, the cohesive tie of the community. Muniz Sodré critiques the weak ethical and political aspirations of the field of communication and suggests the construction of a ‘post-disciplinary’ science, set against the classic disciplines of sociology, anthropology and economics, which resists a global ideology of financialization. Moving the field of communication beyond media studies to a philosophical reflection on the roots of the community, The Science of the Commons is a ground-breaking book that offers fresh perspectives for the study of communication worldwide.
- Provides a ground-breaking new perspective on communication studies
- Challenges standard sociological and anthropological thinking on media
- Sheds light on the true theoretical core of communication and its interdisciplinary background
Muniz Sodré is Professor Emeritus at the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and a member of IAMCR.
- IAMCR members are entitled to a special 35% discount on all titles in the series. If you are a member of IAMCR, email GlobalTransformations [at] iamcr.org (Subject: global%20transformations%20discount) with "global transformations discount" as the subject of your message for details on how to get your discount.
- A Post-disciplinary Science
- A Financial Ideology
- A Science for the Virtual Bios
- The Organization of the Common
The above text is from the publisher's description of the book.
Title: The Science of the Commons: A Note on Communication Methodology
Authors: Muniz Sodré
Publisher: Palgrave Macmillan