Communication and cultural studies scholars the world over learned with deep regret of the passing on February 20, 2014, of Professor Stuart Hall, one of the preeminent and iconic leaders of social and political discourse in our field. At its 2014 conference in Hyderabad, India, IAMCR will pay tribute to the memory of Stuart Hall by dedicating one of its plenary sessions in his honour. The plenary panel will take place on Wednesday July 16 from 11:00 to 12:30 in the Main Hall of the Hyderabad Conference Centre. A special IAMCR award in Hall’s name will be announced at the session.
The panel will include:
- Hopeton Dunn, University of the West Indies, Jamaica (Convener and Chair)
- Suzie Tharu, cultural studies and feminist scholar, formerly of the English and Foreign Languages University (EFLU), Hyderabad, India
- Colin Sparks, Hong Kong Baptist University in Hong Kong and formerly of University of Westminster in London
- Sandra Ristovska, Annenberg School for Communication, University of Pennsylvania, USA and Co-Chair of IAMCR's Emerging Scholars Network (ESN)
- Garry Whannel, Director of the Research Institute for Media Art and Design, (RIMAD), University of Bedfordshire, UK